Saturday, May 12, 2012


Now a’days, everyone is concerned with unemployment levels, and it is as if one cannot turn on the television without hearing the unemployment percentage being thrown around on the news, but after reading Melanie’s Blog Shake Up the System on minimum wage, I have to agree with her that it is a real issue. People don’t normally consider this an issue, because these days if you have a job, you are considered to be ahead of the game. The way she breaks down the numbers of the average income of a family dancing around the minimum wage mark, inspired an empathy that I don’t share too often.
I believe that Melanie’s audience consisted of those in their 20’s who make minimum wage and have become accustomed to the amount of money they bring home each week. It is when people get comfortable that advancements in situations begin to deteriorate. Look at the way roads were invented. People were tired of walking all over the place and couldn’t stand it anymore, thus through their uncomforts, humans have created endless networks and solutions to transportation problems. She couldn’t be more correct when she says, “We have to get out of hum-drum lives”. Repeat with me everybody, “COMFORT KILLS CHANGE”
The only thing that I might argue with in this article, was that the financial breakdown was for a family with a daughter and both parents on minimum wage. Personally, and I know it happens, but if a man and woman are married and thinking of having children, they should take their financial status into consideration. I’ve been in a relationship for 4 years, but I won’t be having any children until I’m off minimum wage.
All in all it is a well written article, expressing a concern that we don’t normally hear about. What particularly earned Ms. Melanie points with me is that she pointed out solutions in her argument. I am so sick of hearing people complain without doing anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment